The entire St. John Neumann parish community is invited to support the annual Thanksgiving Food Drive and Gifts For Kids Drive
Feed the hungry is one of the Corporal Works of Mercy. Catholic Social Teaching emphasizes that “people have a right and a duty to participate in society, seeking together the common good and well-being of all, especially the poor and vulnerable” and we are instructed “to put the needs of the poor and vulnerable first.”
Because of the pandemic, Cornerstones is running the Thanksgiving Food Drive and Gifts for Kids Drive concurrently so that both donations can be delivered to families at the same time.
Thanksgiving Food Drive
There are specific food items to donate or you can contribute financially online. The deadline to donate is Nov. 6
Please drop off all food donations in the marked bins in the Narthex; cash, check, and gift card donations should be brought to the parish office during business hours or placed in the collection basket during Mass (clearly marked for the Food Drive). Please write “Thanksgiving Food Drive” in the memo line for a check.
Registered Faith Formation families have designated food items to donate based on grade level along with $3.
Food items to donate
- 3 cans of assorted veggies (please no green beans)
- 2 cans of fruit
- 1 bottle of olive or canola cooking oil (approx. 24 oz.) (no glass bottles please)
- 1 box of instant potatoes, macaroni & cheese, stuffing
- 1 box of rice or a 2–5 lb. bag of rice
- 1 box of biscuit or muffin mix
- 1 snack — pretzels, chips, nuts, etc.
- 1 box of dessert mix — brownies, cookies, cake, etc.
- 2 lb. bag of flour
- 2 lb. bag of sugar
- 1 $25 gift card to Giant, Safeway, or Harris Teeter
- Or contribute financially online
Gifts for Kids Drive
“Serve one another with the gifts you have received.” 1 Peter 4:8-11
The Gifts for Kids program will begin on the weekend of November 12-13 when gift card tags will be available after all masses on the board in front of the auditorium. Once again, Cornerstones’ is asking only for gift cards – the parents have expressed a preference for them so that they can shop for Christmas gifts for their children.
Unwrapped gift cards with the tag need to be returned no later than November 27th. Please return the gift cards to the Welcome Desk after weekend masses, or to the Parish Office during the week.
The deadline for SJN parishioners to donate or fulfill gift commitments is Nov. 27.
How can I participate?
There are two ways to support the Gifts for Kids Drive:
- Sign up to support a particular child
- Donate financially to help provide families with requested Gift Cards.
How do I fulfill my commitment to a particular child?
If you sign up to support a particular child, you have three ways to fulfill your commitment:
- Bring the designated gift card to the parish office during business hours. Please include the child’s name.
- Drop off your designated gift card or the financial equivalent in the collection basket at Mass (clearly marked for the Gifts for Kids Drive). Please write “Gifts for Kids Drive” and the child’s name in the memo line for a check.
- Donate online.
Questions about the Gifts for Kids Drive? Email Mary Kay Crain.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDS FOR GIFTS FOR KIDS PROGRAM
Are you looking for an easy way to get involved in our Christmas outreach? Gifts for Kids needs volunteers. Please contact Mary Kay Crain – firstname.lastname@example.org