When parents bring their children to the Church asking for Baptism, they are told “You have asked to have your child baptized. In doing so you are accepting the responsibility of training him(her) in the practice of the faith. It will be your duty to bring him(her) up to keep God’s commandments as Christ taught us, by loving God and our neighbor. Do you clearly understand what you are undertaking?”
After the responses of parents and godparents, the celebrant continues: “______, the Christian community welcomes you with great joy. In its name, I claim you for Christ our Savior by the sign of his cross . . .”
Based on the Baptismal promises, St. John Neumann parish supports parents in a home-based sacramental preparation experience. Parents are the primary people who pass on our faith to their children. Our parish provides materials and experiences to support parents in their primary role.
Requirements for First Eucharist:
- The child must be baptized.
- The child must be in or have already completed second grade.
- The child must be enrolled in their second consecutive year of faith formation—either parish religious education or in a Catholic school.
- Families must be registered parishioners and attending Mass regularly.
Process of First Eucharist Preparation for grades 2-4:
- Parents will receive a packet in the mail in September of their child’s sacramental year with a letter explaining the sacramental preparation program for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist, a Save the Date card for both, and a commitment form.
- There will be a parent meeting in February where parents will receive the preparation materials.
- Most of the preparation will be done at home, with a few supplemental lessons held at SJN with all children preparing for the sacraments.
- The celebration of First Eucharist is typically held in May.
To find out more about registering your child in Faith Formation classes for sacramental preparation, please visit our Children’s Faith Formation page.
There is a separate preparation program for 5th grade and above. For additional information on that program or the 2nd-4th grade program, contact the Faith Formation Office at 703-860-2815.