When parents bring their children to the Church asking for Baptism, they are told “You have asked to have your child baptized. In doing so you are accepting the responsibility of training him or her in the practice of the faith. It will be your duty to bring him or her up to keep God’s commandments as Christ taught us, by loving God and our neighbor. Do you clearly understand what you are undertaking?”
After the responses of parents and godparents, the celebrant continues: “______, the Christian community welcomes you with great joy. In its name, I claim you for Christ our Savior by the sign of his cross . . .”
Based on the Baptismal promises, St. John Neumann parish supports parents in a home-based sacramental preparation. Parents are the primary people who pass on our faith to their children. Our parish provides materials and experiences to support parents in their primary role.
Requirements for First Reconciliation:
- The child must be baptized.
- The child must be in or have already completed second grade.
- The child must be enrolled in their second consecutive year of faith formation—either parish religious education or in a Catholic school.
- The family must be registered parishioners and attending Mass regularly.
Process of First Reconciliation Preparation for grades 2-4:
- Parents will receive a packet in the mail in September of their child’s sacramental year with a letter explaining the sacramental preparation program for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist, a Save the Date card for both, and a commitment form.
- There will be a parent meeting in October where parents will receive the preparation materials.
- Most of the preparation will be done at home, with a few supplemental lessons held at SJN with all children preparing for the sacraments.
- The celebration of First Reconciliation is typically held in January.
To find out more about registering your child in Faith Formation classes for sacramental preparation, please visit our Children’s Faith Formation page.
There is a separate preparation program for 5th grade and above. For additional information on that program or the 2nd-4th grade program, contact the Faith Formation Office at 703-860-2815.