Niño Jesus Parish, Manta, Ecuador and St. John Neumann
“We are one human family whatever our national, racial, ethnic, economic, and ideological differences.
We are our brothers’ and sisters’ keepers, wherever they may be.”
(US Conference of Catholic Bishops)
Fr. Luis Coronel (Nino Jesus) and Fr. Joe Brennan (SJN)
Niño Jesus and St. John Neumann—two Oblates of St. Francis de Sales parishes—became sister parishes in 2009 to help grow spiritually and promote Catholic Social Teaching.
The Niño Jesus Ministry—with the help of SJN parishioners—has helped to finance a number of projects in our sister parish over the years. They include:
- Scholarships for Niño Jesus children. Thanks to the generosity of parishioners, St. John Neumann provides scholarships for 193 during the April-January Ecuadorean school year. The scholarships pay for school supplies, uniforms, and shoes.
- Building a medical clinic. The clinic was intended to provide Niño Jesus parishioners with affordable health care.
- Construction of a new kitchen and dining hall. The parish provides lunch for school children and the elderly.
- Construction of a children’s development center. It incorporates the new kitchen and dining hall and includes a computer center and rooms for physical and occupational therapy, language instruction, and religious education.
- Building religious education classrooms and a neighborhood chapel for the Narcisa de Jesus Community—one of the many communities in the Niño Jesus Parish. The chapel, which is being built on top of the classrooms, is currently under construction.
Narcisa de Jesus classrooms and chapel
The Niño Jesus Ministry has used the proceeds from St. John Neumann’s annual car raffle to fund the construction projects discussed above.
Additional information about the Niño Jesus–St. John Neumann relationship and photos of the projects we have helped to fund can be found on https://sites.google.com/site/sjnmanta/home
Want to Sponsor a Nino Jesus Student?
If you are interested in becoming a scholarship sponsor or have any questions about the program, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sponsors provide an annual contribution of $190 that helps to cover the cost of a student’s school supplies, uniform, and shoes as well as a Christmas gift and family party.